There are four stages to become a Newark Public School Principal: 1) a central screening process, 2) interview(s) with central office leadership, 3) School Community interview and 4) a Superintendent interview,
The process for becoming a Vice Principal consists of three stages: 1) a central screening process, 2) a school- based leader interview, 3) a school network leader based interview.
The basic steps are outlined below:
- Application Submission: Candidates submit their applications through Lead Newark’s online application system.
- Pre-screening: The Lead Newark team reviews candidates’ applications, essays and resumes. If your application is recommended after screening, it will be forwarded to our leadership team. At that time, it is up to their discretion on candidates who will move forward in the process.
- In-person Interview: Selected candidates will be invited for an in person interview with the Human Resource Team and Leadership Team.
- Reference Checks: References from the online application are contacted before any candidates are allowed to apply for school-specific leadership vacancies.
- School Community Interview (for Principal candidates): Finalist candidates will then interview with community members from schools.
- Superintendent Interview (for Principal candidates): Principal candidates meet with the Superintendent, who makes the final decision to extend an offer to become a Newark Board of Education Principal based on information from all stages of the selection process.
- Principal and Assistant Superintendent Interview (for Vice Principal/CIO candidates): Vice Principal candidates meet proceed to School Principal and Assistant Superintendent interviews. From there, school network leaders or school-based leaders will make final decisions to extend an offer.
(For Vice Principal Candidates: All above applies, but normally a School Community Interview will not be conducted).