Yes. We recently updated our online application, and, therefore, require all applicants who applied in prior years to update their previously submitted application to complete the new portions. Applicants can also take the opportunity to update other aspects of their application, including contact information, work history, and certifications. You can access the new application here. You must wait one full calendar year before re-applying.
CAN I APPLY FOR A SCHOOL-SPECIFIC PRINCIPAL OR VICE PRINCIPAL JOB BEFORE GOING THROUGH THE CENTRAL SCREENING PROCESS?
No. You will only be eligible for a school-specific principal job once you successfully complete the full screening process.
If your application is recommended after screening, it will be forwarded to our leadership team. At that time, it is up to their discretion on candidates who will move forward in the process. Please note, due to the large number of Lead applications the district receives, the timeline to notify you of your status may be subject to change.
Within three weeks of your in-person interview, a member of the Lead Newark team will notify you via email if you are eligible to proceed as an eligible candidate or invited to Superintendent and School Community interviews for Principal candidates.
To apply, you will need to complete the online application, including essay questions. You will also need to upload your resume and submit a copy of your certification(s) on Lead Newark’s online application system. Newark Board of Education will only consider applications that have been completed and submitted online. We do not accept paper applications.
There are four stages to become a Newark Public School Principal: 1) a central screening process, 2) interview(s) with central office leadership, 3) School Community interview and 4) a Superintendent interview,
The process for becoming a Vice Principal consists of three stages: 1) a central screening process, 2) a school- based leader interview, 3) a school network leader based interview.
The basic steps are outlined below:
- Application Submission: Candidates submit their applications through Lead Newark’s online application system.
- Pre-screening: The Lead Newark team reviews candidates’ applications, essays and resumes. If your application is recommended after screening, it will be forwarded to our leadership team. At that time, it is up to their discretion on candidates who will move forward in the process.
- In-person Interview: Selected candidates will be invited for an in person interview with the Human Resource Team and Leadership Team.
- Reference Checks: References from the online application are contacted before any candidates are allowed to apply for school-specific leadership vacancies.
- School Community Interview (for Principal candidates): Finalist candidates will then interview with community members from schools.
- Superintendent Interview (for Principal candidates): Principal candidates meet with the Superintendent, who makes the final decision to extend an offer to become a Newark Board of Education Principal based on information from all stages of the selection process.
- Principal and Assistant Superintendent Interview (for Vice Principal/CIO candidates): Vice Principal candidates meet proceed to School Principal and Assistant Superintendent interviews. From there, school network leaders or school-based leaders will make final decisions to extend an offer.
(For Vice Principal Candidates: All above applies, but normally a School Community Interview will not be conducted).
Effective September 1, 2011, in accordance with the New Jersey First Act (P.L. 2011, c.70) all employees of public school districts must reside in the State of New Jersey. All newly hired employees who do not reside in New Jersey will have one (1) year after the date employment begins to relocate residency to New Jersey. An employee who does not do so is subject to removal from office, position or employment.
The State of New Jersey requires all public school principals and vice principals to have a principal certification. Please apply for your principal certification directly through the New Jersey Department of Education. You must be able to provide proof of certification in order to be hired by the district.
In order to apply for a principal position, applicants should possess a New Jersey Principal Certificate and a master’s degree from an accredited college or university. Candidates will need to show proof that they are obtaining their New Jersey certification in order to move forward in the evaluation process. We recommend all candidates apply for and acquire these certifications prior to applying. Please visit the State of New Jersey Department of Education website for information on state certification requirements for school principals.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Principals and Vice Principals are eligible for tenure after four years of employment if they have earned a rating of effective or highly effective within the first three years of employment with the first effective rating being received on or after the completion of the second year of employment.
Internal candidates are eligible for tenure after two consecutive calendar years in the new position if they have earned a rating of effective or highly effective in two consecutive summative evaluations within the first three years of employment in the new positions.
For more information, please refer to the TEACHNJ Act, which has the reformed state’s tenure laws.
Newark Board of Education principals are paid over a 12-month period and are represented by the City Association of Supervisors and Administrators (CASA). The Principal salary can range from $115,000-$165,000. The Vice Principal salary can range from $95,319-$133,000.
Principal and Vice Principal salaries are subject to change pending CASA contract negotiations.
Our selection criteria is broken up into six major categories:
- Belief and Urgency
- Instructional Expertise
- Adult Leadership
- Strategic Planning
- Personal Responsibility and Resilience